[whatwg] High-density canvases

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Sep 12 00:17:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > Pinch-zoom is hard because we don't want to trigger reflows or other
> > expensive behavior on pinch-zoom. I'd leave pinch-zoom out of it for
> > now.
>
> Unless I'm missing something fundamental, changing the pixel density
> doesn't cause a layout, it's changing the width that causes a layout.

Changing pixel density does cause a layout in Gecko. For example we round
CSS border widths to a whole number of device pixels. (This ensures that
when page zoom is applied, all borders with the same specified width are
rendered with the same visual width.) On some platforms (Windows), changing
pixel density affects text hinting which affects text layout.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*