[whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at apple.com
Fri Sep 13 14:27:02 PDT 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 1:53 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:
>> * XHR response (uses interface "Document" and is an "XML document", even for
>> text/html if I read the spec correctly)
>
> I assumed :/ that HTML would do the marking. Let's consider this a bug.
>
> It's not entirely clear to me what the suggestion from Ryosuke is. Is
> it to keep getters on HTMLDocument only and expose HTMLDocument only
> in browsing contexts created from text/html resources? And use
> Document everywhere else and have Document contain all the other
> members including (former) SVGDocument members? That setup would make
> sense to me anyway.

My proposal something along that line.  But HTMLDocument also has a bunch of other junk properties like embeds, plugins, scripts, compatMode, bgColor, fgColor, alinkColor, linkColor, vlinkColor, etc… We even have write() and writeln() there!

I don’t want to start adding all these legacy methods elsewhere.

- R. Niwa