[whatwg] canvas 2d's ellipse

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 11:16:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>> > What would a negative radius mean?
>>
>> Either treat it as zero, or use the absolute value. Avoiding exceptions
>> will make web apps more robust.
>
> Or more buggy, because authors won't notice their errors.
>
> I'm not a fan of "sweep it under the carpet" bug handling, personally. It
> drives me crazy that JavaScript has no type checking, no argument
> checking, etc. So many bugs that should be caught at compile time, or at
> least at runtime when the code is reached, are instead caught only after
> careful testing.

"Runtime when the code is reached" often actually means "Whoops! Now
the entire app's broken because I forgot to handle a silly
edge-case.".  When there's an easy and obvious recovery strategy, it's
often much friendlier to authors to take it rather than force them to
handle errors.

This is fairly standard practice in DOM and ES design.

~TJ