[whatwg] Supporting scanners on the web

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Sep 26 19:11:34 PDT 2013

Yes: http://www.scantips.com/basics9p.html

> * Should we give the site any way to specify preferred resolution or color
> depth for an image? Or should the site be prepared process any images to
> the required resolution, convert to monochrome, etc.

That sounds useful. These values could be just hints.

* Should the spec recommend any specific MIME types for scanner page
> images? Most desktop scanners appear to default to .tiff, but that's not a
> normal web format: perhaps we should recommend that UAs convert to PNG.

PNG sounds good given it's lossless and ubiqutious. Apps can transcode to
JPEG (or any other format the browser supports encoding of) on the client
if they want to.

Is implementing a full scanning UI in a Web app in scope or out of scope?
If it's in scope, then we'd need the ability to display incremental scan
results, and we'd need to be able to do a preview vs full-view scan, and
control the area scanned.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*