[whatwg] Proposal: Specify SHA512 hash of JavaScript files in <script> tag

Igor Minar iminar at google.com
Tue Feb 4 17:08:12 PST 2014

I like this a lot!

I've been in discussions in the past where developers expressed concerns
about inability to verify that the bits delivered from CDN were the same
bits as the ones they reviewed and tested against during development.

It's very common to pull popular libraries (like jquery, angular,
underscore, bootstrap, etc) from a CDN, while delivering the html, css and
app specific bits from a different server. In this scenario the developer
has to blindly trust the CDN provider to disallow any kind of modification
of the bits.

>From what I read this is the reason why financial and healthcare apps can't
use 3rd party CDNs at all.

\i