[whatwg] hit regions: limited set of elements for fallback content

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Feb 18 13:43:28 PST 2014

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > This example actually adds more questions:
> >
> > How do we handle the multiple focus case? (There's focus in the
> > crossword and in the clue list at the same time.)
>
> I don't think multiple things are focused at once. Rather, certain
> composite controls have a notion of which cell is "active", that becomes
> the focused cell when you focus it. If you have a <select multiple>
> control on your page, you can tell which items are selected even when it
> isn't focused, and I think this is the same thing.

Yeah, it's not clear exactly what is focused, per se. It could be the
cell, or it could be the clue. I'm not sure how to tell. Tab jumps through
the clues, the arrows keys jump through the cells. Clicking either has the
same/equivalent effect. Both need to be called out when you focus either.

> > Do we expose the way each cell can be focused in two different
> > directions?
>
> I don't see how that would translate into an accessibility API, even in
> a native app. I think the author would have to semantically convey that
> via some other means.

Right, but, what other means? That's what I'm trying to work out.

How would we actually solve this specific use case?