[whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

Dan Brickley danbri at google.com
Mon Feb 24 05:21:17 PST 2014

On 24 Feb 2014 05:17, "Charles McCathie Nevile" <chaals at yandex-team.ru>
wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 05:05:06 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>>> The real address, where I grew up,  was:
>>> 2 Melbury Road, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 9RA
>>

>> Today, the address of that building is:
>>
>>    2 Melbury Rd
>>    Harrow
>>    HA3 9RA
>>

>>> Damn humans, not following specs. Actually UK addresses have a huge
>>> amount of leeway, as they are routed by postcode in the main (though I
>>> did receive a postcard addressed to "Kevin, Sidney, Cambridge" once).
>>

>> The post office will deal with all kinds of stuff, sure. But Web forms
>> only have to accept the formal address format, which in the UK only ever
>> has a street, a locality (sometimes), a post town, and a post code.
>

> That depends on whether you want to force your customers to think like
the Post Office, or whether you prefer to be responsive to your customers.
Speaking without data, I suspect that nervousness at not being able to put
*what someone thinks* is their address translates fairly readily into a
certain amount of failure to proceed with a transaction.

> Providing specification purity over the concerns of both users and
developers trying to use the Web to successfully interact with them seems
like a pretty basic mistake to me.

Who is using the data? Just post offices? Or taxi drivers, pizza delivery
bikers, pedestrians?

Dan