[whatwg] Drawing shapes on canvas

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:41:32 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Justin Novosad <junov at google.com> wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something, but I think this API could be implemented
> entirely in JS without any new canvas APIs.  Do you have a counter example?
>  Or perhaps you have a use case that would be extraordinarily inefficient
> using current APIs?
> The way I see it, you would need to use an off-screen canvas to as a
> scratch pad for applying the shape ops (i.e. for compositing paths), but
> wouldn't a native implementation have to do the same?

Another use-case for the shape object would be WebGL.
Today, users have to draw shapes and text on a 2d canvas and send over the
bitmap to WebGL as a texture. If we could teach WebGL to take Shape2D
object, it would have access to scalable graphics which would lower memory
use and have better quality.
The engineers at NVidia have a paper [1] that describes how this could work.

1:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/devzone/devcenter/gamegraphics/files/opengl/gpupathrender.pdf