[whatwg] HTML spec incorrectly suggests that <br> can have its rendering changed with CSS

Daniel Holbert dholbert at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 23 10:54:02 PST 2014

On 01/23/2014 03:16 AM, Stewart Brodie wrote:
>> [2] I only noticed one rendering difference -- IE11 honors "border" on
>> e.g. "display"/"width"/"height", though.)
>
> I get different results on your test case for the bottom two tests.  In
> Chrome 33 and Opera 12.16 (Linux), there is a line break; in Firefox 26
> there isn't.

Yeah -- sorry, I thought up those last two testcases (applying "float"
and "position:absolute" to <br>) a bit later, after I sent my initial
email. (which is why I didn't mention them as a rendering difference)

So, the "position" & "float" properties do represent a little bit of
style that Gecko honors on <br> (but not Blink/Presto; not sure about IE).

~Daniel