[whatwg] Supporting more address levels in autocomplete

Evan Stade estade at chromium.org
Tue Mar 4 18:54:02 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Qebui Nehebkau <
qebui.nehebkau+whatwg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > I think the arguments you've presented so far suggest "address-levelN"
> for
> > N=1..4, with 4=region and 3=locality, is probably the simplest thing to
> > do. I was hoping there might be other people with opinions, to give us
> > different perspectives on this, but it seems nobody else cares. :-(
>
> Since you asked, I think the whole endeavour (of trying to tokenise an
> address) is pointless and should be abandoned outright. :)
>
> Short of my ideal of *only* offering the full address (as used on a
> label) as an opaque string,

The majority of forms ask for tokenized data; my impression is this is
necessary given their backends (be it columns in a user info database, a
payment provider that requires tokenized address, etc.) So I don't think
it's practical to impose address blob only on the web.