[whatwg] [2D Canvas] Do canvases in documents without a browsing context need to be rendered?

Justin Novosad junov at google.com
Thu Mar 6 11:07:58 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Justin Novosad wrote:
> > How do we interpret that for Path
> > objects? Does adding text to a path count as a case where font style is
> > undefined, or do we defer and resolve the font style when the path
> > object is drawn to a canvas?
>
> Depends on the Path object. There's a "font style source object" defined
> for anything that might draw text (if I didn't screw it up), and that's
> what decides what you should be rendering relative to.
>
> Ok, I see it now.  A lot of jumping around the spec is required to get the
complete answer, but it is clear now.  Thanks.
So basically, if the 'styles' parameter is a DrawingStyle object, then the
object passed to the DrawingStyle constructor is used as the font style
source object, and if none is specified we take the "Document object of the
active document of the browsing context of the Window object on which the
interface object of the invoked constructor is found." Alright. I think
we're good here.