[whatwg] Bicubic filtering on context.drawImage

K. Gadd kg at luminance.org
Sat Mar 15 04:14:34 PDT 2014

In game scenarios it is sometimes necessary to have explicit control
over the filtering mechanism used, too. My HTML5 ports of old games
all have severe rendering issues in every modern browser because of
changes they made to canvas semantics - using filtering when not
requested by the game, sampling outside of texture rectangles as a
result of filtering, etc - imageSmoothingEnabled doesn't go far enough
here, and I am sure there are applications that would break if
bilinear was suddenly replaced with bicubic, or bicubic was replaced
with lanczos, or whatever. This matters since some applications may be
using getImageData to sample the result of a scaled drawImage and
changing the scaling algorithm can change the data they get.

One example I can think of is that many games bilinear scale a tiny
(2-16 pixel wide) image to get a large, detailed gradient (since
bilinear cleanly interpolates the endpoints). If you swap to another
algorithm the gradient may end up no longer being linear, and the
results would change dramatically.