[whatwg] header for JSON-LD ???

Roger Hågensen rh_whatwg at skuldwyrm.no
Wed Jul 26 08:29:22 PDT 2017

On 2017-07-26 16:52, Philipp Serafin wrote:
> That sounds like a very expensive solution for a technology that was
> supposed to enable bots to consume web pages *without* needing to cut
> through all the bloat.

Yeah. As far as I know, content is still king at Google.
So extra weight will be given to whatever is shown to the visitors
(seeing or non-seeing).

This article by one of the guys behind JDON-LD is also interesting.
http://manu.sporny.org/2014/json-ld-origins-2/

The semantic web was at the bottom of his list when making the
specification, so JSON-LD is not really designed for semantics.

To me JSON-LD looks like a standardized way to store common data using JSON.

Myself in my apps I would not use JSON-LD as my own apps would use a
internal API or I'd define a custom API using JSON.

JSON-LD would be overkill for the play history for a web player for
example, as you'd have to support all of the JSON-LD specs if you want
to remain compliant. No browser support JSON-LD, so you'd need a larger
library to handle it. I rely on native browser functionality as possible
to avoid 3rd party libraries.

Something like JSON-LD would make more sense with something like The
Internet Archive and so on, as part of a official public API etc.

--
Unless specified otherwise, anything I write publicly is considered
Public Domain (CC0). My opinions are my own unless specified otherwise.