[whatwg] new tag and possible new aria role

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Sun Nov 12 00:03:53 PST 2017

On webites that either are age restricted and/or have content that may
be offensive to some people, often (but not as often as I'd like) there
is a warning splashscreen that the server puts in the page if the user
has not already agreed to see such content.

One way to do this is with a div that has absolute positioning and a
z-index that covers the content until the user clicks enter or whatever,
then it does an ajax call to lett the server the user has verified they
want to see the content and removes the div.

I would suggest a tagName "splashscreen" for this purpose. It would have
the same properties as a div only it would have semantic meaning so that
people using screen readers would know it is important.

An aria landmark of splashscreen would also properly distinguish it from
complementary which is what I currently use for it (I would use banner
but only one banner landmark per page is allowed).

Just a thought, I won't defend the thought but if it seems reasonable to
the powers that be, I think it is worth it.

These splash screens do serve a different purpose than any other
semantic tag.