[whatwg] DOM Feature Mod: Add metering / parallelism & throttling options to AddEventListenerOptions

Sylon Zero sylonzero at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:01:13 PST 2017

I think libraries having those functions emphasizes the point here, as that
validates the existence and need for those patterns which then raises the
requirement: should this be native to the browser?

I believe the answer is yes, given how much work has already been put into
standardizing the resource/computation model around the browser (web
workers, local storage, etc) which is architecturally, IMHO, a related
effort. Those capabilities come to life when there are smarter ways to
utilize and route work to them through built-in features related to
processing events/messages. In an effort to not create a science project
out of some sort of top-down attack on this requirement, a simple
middle-out approach with immediate results would be to extend the
eventListener behavior that is prevalent in both browser and node.js
scenarios.

The case I am making first and foremost is that these recognizable patterns
will be increasingly requisite (and not an after-thought, to be brought in
via Underscore) in building web apps in the near term as web app complexity
& use has increased dramatically with multiple cloud-scale offerings
running in the SaaS space (think Netflix, LinkedIn, Facebook, Slack, etc)
and more being built in various startups & emerging businesses. If the
browser is to gain parity as an Application Platform allowing the
development of web applications to rival native ones, then the ability to
deal with volatile/durable messaging and events, storage and routing of
work should be a core capability.

*Broader implications:*
If I may, let me add that I also think there is a growing confluence
between the hybrid desktop app and browser-based SPAs (the Electron
framework and its numerous successful projects like Atom, Slack, Visual
Studio Code are great examples) and if the browser is to continue to evolve
as a platform to encourage this trend (which is fabulous for the web
community), then investments must be made to extend / normalize the browser
standards in much the same way that the concept of a standardized
Application Server helped standardize app architectures. This implies a
future with registration of libraries/components (managed code), better
local storage/caching options, improved integration with security contexts
(per O/S), and likely much more. At least, I think it does :-).