[whatwg] Popular Background Geolocation question on StackOverflow

Philipp Serafin phil127 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:15:34 PDT 2018

If this problem is specific to the "track a route" use-case, and the
use-case is sufficiently widespread, would a dedicated "route recording"
API make sense?

E.g., a web page could ask the browser to continously record location
changes and - at some time at the browser's discretion - push a list of
recorded changes to the page.

This would allow the browser to record locations changes with reasonably
accuracy *without* waking up service workers.

It would also provide some hooks for privacy controls: A browser could show
a status indicator whenever it's in "GPS recording" mode. It could also
notify the user when it's about to push the recorded route to the page and
possibly even show the route for confirmation.

Roger Hågensen <rh_whatwg at skuldwyrm.no> schrieb am Sa., 24. März 2018,
19:49: