[html5] <article> for ecommerce product?

Dominic Morgan dom at d3r.com
Wed Jul 20 05:13:09 PDT 2011

On 20 July 2011 10:26, Bruce Lawson <brucel at opera.com> wrote:

I'm not a clever spec-writery person, but I did an HTML5 Doctor simplequiz
> about how to mark up products http://html5doctor.com/html5-**simplequiz-1/<http://html5doctor.com/html5-simplequiz-1/>and concluded that  <article> was the right man for the job, on the basis of
> the spec quote you cite (here was my raitionale
> http://html5doctor.com/html5-**simplequiz-1/#comment-11004<http://html5doctor.com/html5-simplequiz-1/#comment-11004>
> )
>
> I can't remember who said it to me, but I find it helps enormously not to
> think of article as newspaper articles, but think of it as a synonym for
> "item".
>
> YMMV, natch
>
> Bruce Lawson

Thanks for taking the time to reply. How I didn't find the HTML5 Doctor quiz
I don't know.

This is very much the same conclusion that I'm leaning towards - essentially
that this is fundamentally about syndication of atomic items. If that really
is the underlying aim when introducing this element, I think it's quite
clear that it is appropriate for a product. How we discover if that is the
aim, I don't know.

Dom