[whatwg] RFC: Alternatives to storage mutex for cookies and localStorage

Chris Jones cjones at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 4 00:02:45 PDT 2009

I'd like to propose that HTML5 specify different schemes than a
conceptual global storage mutex to provide consistency guarantees for
localStorage and cookies.

Cookies would be protected according to Benjamin Smedberg's post in the
"[whatwg] Storage mutex and cookies can lead to browser deadlock"
thread.  Roughly, this proposal would give scripts a consistent view of
document.cookie until they completed.  AIUI this is stronger consistency
than Google Chrome provides today, and anecdotal evidence suggests even
their weaker consistency hasn't "broken the web."

localStorage would be changed in a non-backwards-compatible way.  I
believe that web apps can be partitioned into two classes: those that
have planned for running concurrently (single-event-loop or not) in
multiple "browsing contexts", and those that haven't.  I further posit
that the second class would break when run concurrently in multiple
contexts regardless of multiple event loops, and thus regardless of the
storage mutex.  Even in the single-event-loop world, sites not prepared
to be loaded in multiple tabs can stomp each other's data even though
script execution is atomic.  (I wouldn't dare use my bank's website in
two tabs at the same time in a single-event-loop browser.)  In other
words, storage mutex can't help the second class of sites.

(I also believe that there's a very large, third class of pages that
work "accidentally" when run concurrently in multiple contexts, even
though they don't plan for that.  This is likely because they don't keep
quasi-persistent data on the client side.)

Based on that, I believe localStorage should be designed with the first
class of web apps (those that have considered data consistency across
multiple concurrent contexts) in mind, rather than the second class.  Is
a conceptual global storage mutex the best way for, say, gmail to
guarantee consistency of its e-mail/contacts database?  I don't believe
so: I think that a transactional localStorage is preferable.
Transactional localStorage is easier for browser vendors to implement
and should result in better performance for web apps in multi-process
UAs.  It's more of a burden on web app authors than the hidden storage
mutex, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

I propose adding the functions

   window.localStorage.beginTransaction()
   window.localStorage.commitTransaction()
or
   window.beginTransaction()
   window.commitTransaction()

(The latter might be preferable if we later decide to add more resources
with transactional semantics.)

localStorage.getItem(),. setItem(), .removeItem(), and .clear() would
remain specified as they are today.  beginTransaction() would do just
that, open a transaction.  Calling localStorage.*() outside of an open
transaction would cause a script exception to be thrown; this would
unfortunately break all current clients of localStorage.  There might be
cleverer ways to mitigate this breakage by a UA pretending not to
support localStorage until a script called beginTransaction().

yieldForStorageUpdates() would no longer be meaningful and should be
removed.

A transaction would successfully "commit", atomically applying its
modifications to localStorage, if localStorage was not modified between
beginTransaction() and commitTransaction().  Note that a transaction
consisting entirely of getItem() could fail just as those actually
modifying localStorage.  If a transaction failed, the UA would throw a
TransactionFailed exception to script.  The UA would be allowed to throw
this exception at any time between beginTransaction() and
commitTransaction().

There are numerous ways to implement transactional semantics.
Single-event-loop UAs could implement beginTransaction() and
commitTransaction() as no-ops.  Multi-event-loop UAs could reuse the
global storage mutex if they had already implemented that
(beginTransaction() == lock, commitTransaction() == unlock).

Some edge cases:

  * calling commitTransaction() without beginTransaction() would throw
an exception

  * transactions would not be allowed to be nested, even on different
localStorage DBs.  E.g. if site A's script begins a transaction on
A.localStorage, and calls into site B's script embedded in an iframe
which begins a transaction on B.localStorage, an exception would be thrown.

  * transactions *could* be spread across script executions, alert()
dialogs, sync XHR, or anywhere else the current HTML5 spec requires the
storage mutex be released.  Note that UAs wishing to forbid that
behavior could simply throw a TransactionFailed exception where the
storage mutex would have been released in the current spec.  Or this
could be made illegal by the spec.

  * it's not clear to me how to handle async XHRs and Worker messages
sent from within a failed transaction.  They could be specified to be
sent or not and either behavior implemented easily.  My gut tells me
that they *should* be sent regardless.

Feedback very much desired.

Cheers,
Chris

Addendum: I think that a past argument against a transactional approach
was that scripts can cause side effects during transactions that can't
be (easily, performantly) rolled back.  This is true, and troubling in
that it deviates from SQL semantics, but because this proposal is
designed for the first class of web apps I don't believe it's a
compelling argument.  Further, a script can only corrupt its
browsing-context-local state by mishandling failed transactions.  Using
gmail as a convenient example, if a transaction failed but gmail wasn't
prepared to handle the failure, that particular gmail instance would
just break.  No e-mails or contacts would be corrupted, and the user
could reload gmail and regain full functionality.  Servers should
already be prepared to deal with clients behaving unpredictably.