[html5] Last call version to comment on?

Bruce Atherton bruce at callenish.com
Fri Mar 5 10:24:16 PST 2010

I have a couple of questions about the Last Call for comments on HTML5.

 From comments like <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/>[1] "the WHATWG HTML
specification is the next generation of the language, while HTML5 is a
more limited subset with a narrower scope", it sounds like the Last Call
document that should be reviewed is the one at the W3C
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/>[2]. But the Last Call announcement
<http://blog.whatwg.org/html5-at-last-call>[3] talks about submitting
comments in-document, which is allowed in WHATWG drafts but not W3C
drafts. There is also the 2009-10-27 draft, but that will not have
incorporated changes from the comments received so far. So which is the
document that should be reviewed for Last Call?

Also, I wonder whether the Last Call also refers to the /"HTML5
differences from HTML4"/ document. Is it considered part of the spec,
albeit a non-normative one?

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/
[2] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/
[3] http://blog.whatwg.org/html5-at-last-call