[html5] Last call version to comment on?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Mar 5 11:33:08 PST 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> I have a couple of questions about the Last Call for comments on HTML5.
>
> From comments like <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/>[1] "the WHATWG HTML
> specification is the next generation of the language, while HTML5 is a
> more limited subset with a narrower scope", it sounds like the Last Call
> document that should be reviewed is the one at the W3C
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/>[2]. But the Last Call announcement
> <http://blog.whatwg.org/html5-at-last-call>[3] talks about submitting
> comments in-document, which is allowed in WHATWG drafts but not W3C
> drafts. There is also the 2009-10-27 draft, but that will not have
> incorporated changes from the comments received so far. So which is the
> document that should be reviewed for Last Call?

The WHATWG draft has different status markers for each section. They are
visible in the left margin. If you just want to review the most stable
stuff (the stuff in "Last Call") then you can limit your review to those
sections that say "Last Call". In practice that's everything except the
<device> section.

In practice, though, your input would be most welcome on any part of the
spec, whether it's in last call or not.

> Also, I wonder whether the Last Call also refers to the /"HTML5
> differences from HTML4"/ document. Is it considered part of the spec,
> albeit a non-normative one?

I'll let Anne answer that one.