[whatwg] Submit buttons

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jun 6 03:02:25 PDT 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, [UTF-8] Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> I think there is a slight inconsistency with submit buttons.
> Section 2.17.:
> "Normally, activating a submit button ... must submit the first form the
> control is associated with"
> Section 2.3
> "If the platform supports submitting a form implicitly ... then when doing so
> the first submit button, this default button, must be the one used to initiate
> form submission (and it will therefore be successful)."
>
> The problem is that the the default button for a form might not submit the
> same form when activatated, if the form is not the first form in the forms
> collection of the button.

It is true that strange behaviour could occur, but it is well-defined and
predictable.

I've edited the spec a bit to make it clearer and added a note about it.

> It could be solved by requiring that submit buttons (and input
> type=image) may only be associated with a single form at a time.

This wouldn't solve it, you would still have the odd case in the error
handling. It would just be an additional requirement on conformance
checkers without really changing anything, IMHO.