[html5] OGG in HTML5

Christian Montoya sirokai at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:53:52 PST 2007

On 12/11/07, ryan <ryan at theryanking.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Christian Montoya wrote:
> > If even just 3 browsers, IE, Firefox, and Opera, supported OGG as a de
> > facto HTML standard, and Safari did its own thing, that would still be
> > a thousand times better than the crap we web developers deal with now.
>
> Even though the spec doesn't require these vendors to support OGG,
> they can still do so.

Yes, but if it is not required, then there is no way of telling
whether or not that support will be permanent. Firefox 3 might support
HTML5 and might, just because Mozilla decided to, support OGG, but
Firefox 4 might still support HTML5 and not support OGG, just because,
and all because you can do one without the other. We have enough
trouble with browsers supporting specs partially, especially with IE
and CSS; if something isn't in the spec, I am going to assume it won't
be supported widely at all.

Before, the notion was that a single, open, interoperable video and
audio format were tied to HTML5, now that is not the case, and I
really do think the scenario I described will happen at one point or
another.

> > HTML5 was all about making something that web developers could
> > actually use, instead of the mess that was XHTML2, but if this is the
> > kind of attitude the WHATWG is going to take towards the specs,
> > pandering to the browser makers rather than helping the web
> > developers, then HTML5 is no better than XHTML2 and has become a
> > me-too attempt.
>
> How do you propose that the WHATWG help web developers without
> browser makers?

By making OGG part of the spec.

> The WHATWG needs browser vendors to be on board in order to have
> influence on the Web. If you remember, the WHATWG was founded by
> Apple, Mozilla and Opera.

Yes, but it was supposed to be a response to the slow movement of the
W3C with XHTML2 and the lack of operability/flexibility of it. With
this kind of attitude, however, HTML5 is just XHTML2, sooner. I know
that's a harsh comparison, but that's how I see it.

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.net