[html5] OGG in HTML5

ryan ryan at theryanking.com
Tue Dec 11 11:46:27 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Christian Montoya wrote:
> On 12/11/07, alex <mail at nabu.be> wrote:
>> I am a webdeveloper and a fierce supporter of opensource. I was under
>> the impression the standards were being designed in the same
>> opensource
>> spirit, but I may have been wrong. Setting OGG as the de facto
>> standard
>> is the best idea i've heard in a long time, and now it's all
>> coming down
>> because a few companies (some of which are known for their vendor
>> lock-in tactics) want to keep their empire.
>
> If even just 3 browsers, IE, Firefox, and Opera, supported OGG as a de
> facto HTML standard, and Safari did its own thing, that would still be
> a thousand times better than the crap we web developers deal with now.

Even though the spec doesn't require these vendors to support OGG,
they can still do so.

> HTML5 was all about making something that web developers could
> actually use, instead of the mess that was XHTML2, but if this is the
> kind of attitude the WHATWG is going to take towards the specs,
> pandering to the browser makers rather than helping the web
> developers, then HTML5 is no better than XHTML2 and has become a
> me-too attempt.

How do you propose that the WHATWG help web developers without
browser makers?

The WHATWG needs browser vendors to be on board in order to have
influence on the Web. If you remember, the WHATWG was founded by
Apple, Mozilla and Opera.

-ryan