[html5] OGG in HTML5

Christian Montoya sirokai at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:28:59 PST 2007

On 12/11/07, alex <mail at nabu.be> wrote:
> I am a webdeveloper and a fierce supporter of opensource. I was under
> the impression the standards were being designed in the same opensource
> spirit, but I may have been wrong. Setting OGG as the de facto standard
> is the best idea i've heard in a long time, and now it's all coming down
> because a few companies (some of which are known for their vendor
> lock-in tactics) want to keep their empire.

If even just 3 browsers, IE, Firefox, and Opera, supported OGG as a de
facto HTML standard, and Safari did its own thing, that would still be
a thousand times better than the crap we web developers deal with now.

I really strongly seriously hope to see OGG back in the HTML5 spec,
because that seemed like a such a great path towards eventually being
able to just put videos and audios in web pages without having to deal
with plugins/javascript/etc. Even Flash is still a huge issue,
especially on Linux, and we need something much better than that.

HTML5 was all about making something that web developers could
actually use, instead of the mess that was XHTML2, but if this is the
kind of attitude the WHATWG is going to take towards the specs,
pandering to the browser makers rather than helping the web
developers, then HTML5 is no better than XHTML2 and has become a
me-too attempt.

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.net