[html5] OGG in HTML5

Christian Montoya sirokai at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 07:20:05 PST 2007

On 12/11/07, Jon Barnett <jonbarnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 2:06 PM, Dan Dorman <dan.dorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 11, 2007 9:06 AM, Joseph Harry <jharry at lapcat.org> wrote:
> > > One thing to remember, HTML is created
> > > by people who can be bought, and it is clearly what has happened here.
> >
> > Hey, let's not get carried away. Ian et al. have been working
> > tirelessly and scrupulously on this spec; there's no reason to cast
> > aspersions on anyone's character.
> >
> > :Dan Dorman
> >

> It's a tragedy that this issue hit the front page of Digg (or the
> front Tech page of Digg) today, and that explains the sudden influx of
> emails.

I am not one of the morons that gets all their news from Digg (or even
visits Digg at all), so I'll just ignore that statement. I've been on
this list for months.

> It's clear that most people commenting on the subject haven't
> bothered to read enough history to realize the actual reason for this
> decision: patent fears.

Seriously, who didn't know this already? That was really, really
obvious. I just happen to think the fears were unfounded. My question
now is, what is higher priority at the moment?

- Proving that OGG is not liable for patent issues.

- Finding something else.

I think point 2 would suck since OGG is such a great format. What I'm
wondering is, how can we help with point 1? Or is there nothing we can
do?

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.net