[html5] OGG--Why vs

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Thu Dec 13 12:01:30 PST 2007

Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> I would agree with the idea of a pipe dream, unfortunately. Who
> creates the browser media player? Who creates the various codecs for
> the media player? Media has become a pretty political issue -- and I
> don't see an easy route to the centralized video player.
>
> I like the idea of a video and audio standard on the web, but with no
> clear winner in the marketplace, I sure wouldn't want to be the person
> making that decision.
>
> nz

The media player would be part of the browser UI itself, like form
controls (eg. <select>, they all have the same functionality across
browsers but different browsers render them differently by default. It
would be an integral part of every web browser. By codecs I mean the
plugins we have to download eg. quicktime, real player and so on, they
would be behind-the-scenes.

Say as a VERY rough example of what I mean:

<mediaplayer>
    <display width="400" height="300" />
    <playlist>
       <video src="xxx.mov" format="mov" />
       <video src="xxx.mpg" format="mpg" />
       <audio src="xxx.mp3" format="mp3" />
       <audio src="xxx.ogg" format="ogg" />
    </playlist>
    <progressbar />
    <controls>
        <button type="play" />
        <button type="pause" />
        <button type="stop" />
        <button type="prev" />
        <button type="next" />
    </controls>
</mediaplayer>

If I didn't have quicktime installed I'd be prompted to install it to
watch the .mov as is the case in the present day. This code could be
written once by a web developer and then its up to the web browser to
handle playing the files if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Rob