[html5] dialog

Stephen Stewart carisenda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:11:13 PST 2008

On 26 Nov 2008, at 21:53, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Stephen Stewart wrote:
>>
>> In HTML5 could/should I use the dialog element to section a comment
>> section after an article?
>
> No, <article> is the intended element for wrapping around comments.
> As in:
>
>   <article>
>    bla bla
>    <article>
>     comment
>    </article>
>    <article>
>     comment
>    </article>
>   </article>

I see that, however dialog seems to me a more intuitive way of
bracketing comments, and looks neater than the nested articles. It
looks like a cow path waiting to happen to me.

Also the wording in section 4.4.4, "An article element is
"independent" in that its contents could stand alone..."  and the
singular usage of comment somewhat convinces me to look for an
alternative for marking up comments, but I guess it's all down to mind
set when you read the spec, if you're looking for a specific comments
sectioning element you may be confused.

Anyway, just my observations :)

Stephen