[html5] dialog

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Wed Nov 26 15:40:04 PST 2008

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind changing the HTML5 element's name, but
> we
> had a discussion at one point where we considered something like two
> dozen
> names and frankly <dialog> was the best one of the lot.
>
> We may at some point need to add a dialog box or model window
> concept of
> some kind to HTML, though, so if there is a better name for one or the
> other of these concepts it would be good to know now so that
> <dialog> can
> be renamed if necessary.

Do you remember the other names? Did you consider 'transcript'?

To avoid bloat and since 'dl' was originally intended for any paired
list, including dialogs[1], perhaps it should be left as a simple
'dl', and differentiate the type of list by an attribute, such as
'role' or 'type':

	<dl role="directory">
	<dl role="transcript">

1. From the HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html#h-10.3
"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues,
with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."