[html5] dialog

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Nov 27 03:25:54 PST 2008

James Craig writes:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> > Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind changing the HTML5 element's name, but
> > we had a discussion at one point where we considered something like
> > two  dozen names and frankly <dialog> was the best one of the lot.
>
> Do you remember the other names?

* <dialogue> (too confusing to have homophones)
* <conversation> (but it might not be)
* <converse> (imperitive rather than noun)
* <convo> (but might not be a conversation>
* <cl> (not intuitive)
* <discussion> (but it might not be)
* <discourse> (too many other meanings)
* <transcript> (but things other than dialogue have transcripts>
* <speech> (misinterpretable as _a_ speech, that is a monologue)
* <talk> (misinterpretable a _a_ talk, that is a presentation (slides?))
* <talking> (Ian preferred <dialog>)

> To avoid bloat and since 'dl' was originally intended for any paired
> list, including dialogs[1], perhaps it should be left as a simple 'dl',

<dl> is now being defined as a list of associations between names and
values.  That doesn't quite work in a conversation where people speak on
multiple distinct occasions.

Smylers