[html5] dialog

Luis-Miguel Rodríguez Rojas lmrodriguezr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:31:20 PST 2008

The definition of dialog is very similar to that of conversation, and both
definitions are wide enough anyway.  I think <conversation> is a good
looking tag ;-).

On the other hand, dialog sounds better than talking, but there is a more
important reason for not using <dialog/> (discussed, off course, especially
for those having some previous XUL experience).

LRR

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

> James Craig writes:
>
> > Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > > Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind changing the HTML5 element's name, but
> > > we had a discussion at one point where we considered something like
> > > two  dozen names and frankly <dialog> was the best one of the lot.
> >
> > Do you remember the other names?
>
> * <dialogue> (too confusing to have homophones)
> * <conversation> (but it might not be)
> * <converse> (imperitive rather than noun)
> * <convo> (but might not be a conversation>
> * <cl> (not intuitive)
> * <discussion> (but it might not be)
> * <discourse> (too many other meanings)
> * <transcript> (but things other than dialogue have transcripts>
> * <speech> (misinterpretable as _a_ speech, that is a monologue)
> * <talk> (misinterpretable a _a_ talk, that is a presentation (slides?))
> * <talking> (Ian preferred <dialog>)
>
> > To avoid bloat and since 'dl' was originally intended for any paired
> > list, including dialogs[1], perhaps it should be left as a simple 'dl',
>
> <dl> is now being defined as a list of associations between names and
> values.  That doesn't quite work in a conversation where people speak on
> multiple distinct occasions.
>
> Smylers

Luis M. Rodriguez-R
[http://bioinf.ibun.unal.edu.co/~miguel/]
Centro de Bioinformática del Instituto de Biotecnología
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá
[http://bioinf.ibun.unal.edu.co/]

Unidad de Bioinformática del Laboratorio de Micología y Fitopatología
Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia
[http://bioinf.uniandes.edu.co]

+ 57 1 3165000 ext 16961
lmrodriguezr at unal.edu.co