[html5] dialog

Peter Borbely pborbely at fairfaxdigital.com.au
Thu Nov 27 13:55:44 PST 2008

as an outsider following the discussions <dialog> feels the most intuitive, it also translates quite well to a number of languages: http://translate.reference.com/browse/dialog

~bp

________________________________

From: help-bounces at lists.whatwg.org [mailto:help-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Luis-Miguel Rodríguez Rojas
Sent: Friday, 28 November 2008 1:31 AM
To: help at lists.whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [html5] dialog

The definition of dialog is very similar to that of conversation, and both definitions are wide enough anyway.  I think <conversation> is a good looking tag ;-).

On the other hand, dialog sounds better than talking, but there is a more important reason for not using <dialog/> (discussed, off course, especially for those having some previous XUL experience).

LRR

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

	James Craig writes:

	> Ian Hickson wrote:
	>
	> > Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind changing the HTML5 element's name, but
	> > we had a discussion at one point where we considered something like
	> > two  dozen names and frankly <dialog> was the best one of the lot.
	>

	> Do you remember the other names?

	* <dialogue> (too confusing to have homophones)
	* <conversation> (but it might not be)
	* <converse> (imperitive rather than noun)
	* <convo> (but might not be a conversation>
	* <cl> (not intuitive)
	* <discussion> (but it might not be)
	* <discourse> (too many other meanings)
	* <transcript> (but things other than dialogue have transcripts>
	* <speech> (misinterpretable as _a_ speech, that is a monologue)
	* <talk> (misinterpretable a _a_ talk, that is a presentation (slides?))
	* <talking> (Ian preferred <dialog>)

	> To avoid bloat and since 'dl' was originally intended for any paired
	> list, including dialogs[1], perhaps it should be left as a simple 'dl',

	<dl> is now being defined as a list of associations between names and
	values.  That doesn't quite work in a conversation where people speak on
	multiple distinct occasions.

	Smylers

Luis M. Rodriguez-R
[http://bioinf.ibun.unal.edu.co/~miguel/]
---------------------------------
Centro de Bioinformática del Instituto de Biotecnología
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá
[http://bioinf.ibun.unal.edu.co/]

Unidad de Bioinformática del Laboratorio de Micología y Fitopatología
Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia
[http://bioinf.uniandes.edu.co]

+ 57 1 3165000 ext 16961
lmrodriguezr at unal.edu.co
lmrodriguezr at gmail.com

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.