[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Steven Rossi SuperMoonMan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:01:31 PDT 2009

Personally I agree with Luis. I can see some styling things where an authors
name would be offset to the bottom-right of a quote, etc., but I don't
really see the value in using an extra element to serve this purpose.
Styling an author item would be no less intuitive if it was done with a span
than it would be with this proposed author element. If we're just providing
more specific elements without adding new functionality, I don't see the
point.
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind <author> if some kind of new
functionality was provided. The author link type serves as an example, and I
believe something like that makes much more sense, because it specifies who
is the author of the parent article/page. If something of equivalent value
could be developed for the author element, I'd be all for it.