[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Mirko Gustony mirko.gustony at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 04:14:12 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Aryeh Gregor<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> If concrete use-cases were not required for new elements, the number
> of elements in HTML would be ridiculous.  I think it would be pretty
> easy to come up with twenty to fifty elements that are about as
> reasonable or useful as a generic <author> tag.  What's the point?  It
> would just be bloat.  This is why we have the class attribute, and
> microdata.  Why not use the existing mechanisms for marking up content
> if you don't have a specific reason to ask for a whole new element?

okay, I see where you're coming from.

What would be the general idea of HTML in your words? What types of
content would be marked up with HTML and in which way? I am just
curious.

I know that there must be drawn a line between contents that may be
marked up with HTML and those that don't. But where should that line
be drawn? What would be a reasonable good level to say “up to this
point we create element types but not beyond”?

What would qualify as “a specific reason to ask for a whole new element”?

Regards,
Mirko