[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Aug 14 01:03:22 PDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 20:46, Mirko Gustony wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Henri Sivonen<hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>> We don't. They were introduced for theoretical purity reasons very
>> early on,
>> and now they are legacy baggage in HTML. Getting rid of them at
>> this point
>> would be too disruptive.
>
> at least I am using both elements quite often. Does that make me
> legacy baggage too?

It doesn't.

FWIW, I'm using them too, because long ago I bought the story that
they were somehow better and started using them and now I want to keep
my blog markup relatively consistent between posts (mostly for
imagined maintainability reasons).

On Aug 13, 2009, at 21:06, Jacob Kristensen - (BlueBoden) wrote:

> How would you tell a screen reader that "this is empersized" without
> them? They don't know what you mean when using span.

Just have the screen reader implement the exact same presentation for
<i> and <em>. That way, the aural presentation has no worse
granularity than the visual presentation.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/