[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 27 17:13:52 PDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Mirko Gustony wrote:

> I asked already in another mail in this thread and maybe you are the one
> who could give an answer to this: What would be the general idea of HTML
> in your words?

HTML is a platform for media-independent, device-independent, and
multi-vendor content and application delivery over the Internet.

> What types of content would be marked up with HTML and in which way?

Any media-independent, primarily text-based content or application.

> I know that there must be drawn a line between contents that may be
> marked up with HTML and those that don't. But where should that line be
> drawn? What would be a reasonable good level to say “up to this point
> we create element types but not beyond”?

The general rule is the "80%" rule -- if it would help at least 80% of
content producers, then it's worth it.

> What would qualify as “a specific reason to ask for a whole new
> element”?

Having a problem that affects many content producers and which isn't
solved currently.

> For instance: why did you add an "header" element type? What use cases
> were brought up to make clear that HTML5 must contain this element type?

A huge number of sites were doing <div class="header">, basically.

> It was just logical to me that if you are able to markup quotes then you
> should be able to mark up its author too.

Why? What problem does it solve?