[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 30 15:20:30 PDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Mirko Gustony wrote:

> Given I want to ensure programs (maybe Google) will understand as well
> who is the author of what. But how would I explicitely mark up Douglas
> Crockford as the author of the quote (and maybe the book too)?

In practice, I don't think any software actually uses this information, so
I wouldn't worry too much about including it.

If the source you are citing has a URI, you can give it in the cite=""
attribute.

If you have an actual practical use for this (i.e. there is a site that
you really want to process this information, not just a theoretical desire
to maybe have it useful one day), then I would recommend creating a
microdata vocabulary for yourself, as in:

...and then having the tool that is to process this data interpret the
microdata that way.

(The example above would result in the following data:

   com.example.quote

    +-- com.example.text: "\n   You can take part in this work.\n  "

    +-- com.example.citation: "HTML5"

You could use the "work" and "vcard" vocabularies for the citation part,
too, if you want more than just a string.)