[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Chris Cressman chris at chriscressman.com
Thu Jul 30 14:06:23 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Mirko Gustony<mirko.gustony at gmail.com> wrote:

> id="douglas-crockford-javascript-the-good-parts">Javascript: The Good
> Parts</cite>: <q
> cite="#douglas-crockford-javascript-the-good-parts">Deep down,
> Javascript has more in common with Lisp and Scheme than with Java. It
> is Lisp in C’s clothing.</q></p>
>
> Given I want to ensure programs (maybe Google) will understand as well
> who is the author of what. But how would I explicitely mark up Douglas
> Crockford as the author of the quote (and maybe the book too)?

I think this is one of many problems that current HTML cannot solve.
The microformats community [1] has standardized a markup pattern for a
person's name. For your example, you would use:

That's a step in the right direction, but does not link the author to
the quote or to the book. RDFa [2] or HTML 5 Microdata [3] may provide
a solution, but I'm not as familiar with those technologies.

[1] http://microformats.org/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/
[3] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#microdata-0

Chris