[html5] <video> tag fallback

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Fri May 1 06:44:10 PDT 2009

Eric Carlson wrote:
>   WebKit nightly builds do fire an 'error' event if no suitable src is
> found.

That's encouraging, but it seems that existing releases of Safari 3.x
already attempt to support the <video> tag without such an error event.
So, implementing for real users is already difficult.

If we want a solution that isn't broken for existing Safari users, we'll
probably have to resort to a browser-detection hack.

Also, throwing a JS exception isn't helpful for users without JavaScript
enabled.

Not trying to sound like a complainer - just want to make sure you're
aware of what actual implementers are running into.

Thanks,
Steven Garrity