[html5] Camera tag?

Patrick Mueller pmuellr at muellerware.org
Thu Sep 10 08:04:10 PDT 2009

Adrian Sutton wrote:
> On 10/09/2009 14:34, "Patrick Mueller" <pmuellr at muellerware.org> wrote:
>> It's complicated though.  We're talking about a capability of the
>> browser to write data to the server, so there's a bunch of security to
>> think about.  There's also figuring out how to let the user decide
>> whether images/video should be uploaded at all.  I don't want to browse
>> to some web site which surreptitiously starts uploading video content
>> without me knowing about it.
>>
>> So while it might end up being just a new element, it will likely have
>> some non-trivial semantics and UA requirements around it.
>
> Sounds like an <input type="video" /> to me - the model works for files so
> it's not a bad starting point.

I agree; start simple on the tag end.  Maybe eventually something like
the controls from the <audio> and <video> elements would make sense.
You'll probably want to preview the feed while sending it, and also be
able to turn that off, for instance.  Perhaps displaying the preview is
part of "making the user understand they are uploading currently
captured video".

Wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to mock something up, where
the mock up would use JavaScript to interpret the element and pump
something like the data URIs pulled from a scribble canvas app posing as
the video feed to a server.  In terms of figuring out some of the odds
and ends around this.

--
Patrick Mueller - http://muellerware.org