[html5] Camera tag?

Adrian Sutton adrian.sutton at ephox.com
Thu Sep 10 08:11:05 PDT 2009

On 10/09/2009 16:04, "Patrick Mueller" <pmuellr at muellerware.org> wrote:
> I agree; start simple on the tag end.  Maybe eventually something like
> the controls from the <audio> and <video> elements would make sense.
> You'll probably want to preview the feed while sending it, and also be
> able to turn that off, for instance.  Perhaps displaying the preview is
> part of "making the user understand they are uploading currently
> captured video".

I wonder if there's a use case for not streaming as well.  Literally treat
it like <input type="file" /> but it also creates the video file.  That
would work best for things like video comments (assuming browsers gave
better progress feedback when uploading) and would handle slow connections.
It would be useless for video chat though.

> Wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to mock something up, where
> the mock up would use JavaScript to interpret the element and pump
> something like the data URIs pulled from a scribble canvas app posing as
> the video feed to a server.  In terms of figuring out some of the odds
> and ends around this.

The existing flash solutions are probably a reasonable starting point -
maybe mock up a JavaScript wrapper around them so you can actually use
<input type="video" />.  http://seesmic.tv/ looks like one example.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.
Adrian Sutton, CTO
UK: +44 1 628 200 182 x481  US: +1 (650) 292 9659 x717
Ephox <http://www.ephox.com/>
Ephox Blogs <http://planet.ephox.com/>, Personal Blog
<http://www.symphonious.net/>