[html5] Web Workers: Race-Condition setting onmessage handler?

Drew Wilson atwilson at chromium.org
Mon Aug 2 10:09:44 PDT 2010

(sending from the correct address this time)

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at google.com> wrote:

> [...]
that an event arrives at the worker's event loop, it will be dropped on the
floor. The reason this happens is steps 7/8 in section 4.5 of the worker
spec:

7. Jump to the script's *initial code entry-point*, and let that run until
it either returns, fails to catch an exception, or gets prematurely aborted
by the "kill a worker<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-workers/current-work/#kill-a-worker>"
or "terminate a
worker<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-workers/current-work/#terminate-a-worker>"
algorithms defined below.
8. If worker global scope is actually a
DedicatedWorkerGlobalScope<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-workers/current-work/#dedicatedworkerglobalscope>
object
(i.e. the worker is a dedicated worker), then enable the port message queue of
the worker's implicit port.

Basically, once the initial worker script returns, the worker's port is
enabled and the normal message port event delivery mechanism kicks in
(including dropping unhandled messages on the floor). I can't say whether
Opera's behavior is correct or not based on your description - if you
increase the timeout from 1 second to 10 seconds, do you still get the
"onmessage message received"? If so, then that may be a bug in Opera because
events delivered to workers without an onmessage handler set should be
dropped.

-atw