[html5] Confusion about <article> tag

Bruce Lawson brucel at opera.com
Wed Jan 13 04:37:59 PST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:30:42 -0000, designer
<designer at gwelanmor-internet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've only been looking at html5 for 2 weeks, so forgive my ignorance,
> but I find the <article> tag to be confusing. This is because I think of
> the tag to describe an 'article' which may/can reside somewhere in the
> page being viewed, whereas if I understand correctly) it refers to
> content which links to something which is on another page, or another
> site?  So wouldn't it be clearer if it was called <external>?  (cf
> rel="external")
>
> Any clarification gratefully received.

It does refer to content which is on the current page. For example, view
the source of my own website, www.brucelawson.co.uk

However, the following teaser which links to another page

<article>
<h1>I'm a news story</h1>
transportation for minor felonies yesterday.</p>
</article>

is also perfectly legitimate.

--
Hang loose and stay groovy,