[html5] Autoplay and preload insufficient for proper video playback.

Herman Hassel herman at agrabush.com
Wed Jun 30 07:31:57 PDT 2010

I keep finding the media attributes "preload" and "autoplay"
insufficient for video playback. I suggest we also have an optional
buffer attribute in addition to the "preload" and "autoplay" attributes.

Buffer would contain a value either set in time or size.

So autoplay would first check if the video should be started before the
end user requests it or not.

Then if no autoplay, the preload would check if the video should start
to load before the user requests it or not.

Then upon playing, the video wouldn't start until the minimum value of
milliseconds or data had been buffered.

examples: (stripped of closing tags or other elements)

<video buffer="5000ms">   this video would not be allowed to play until
at least 5 seconds of it has been loaded.

<video buffer="200KB">   this video would not be allowed to play until
at least 200KB of it has loaded.

--
Herman Hassel
Agrabush Design