[html5] Help Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9

Alastair Campbell ac at alastc.com
Thu Mar 18 02:38:36 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 02:12:13PM +1000, Webxopt wrote:
> Totally agree with this one. A wrapper is something that should become a standard element rather than us all defining it as a div.

I tried (a few years ago) using the body as the main wrapper. The problem was IE (6 at the time). So I had to use a wrapper div.

Despite this (and I do still account for IE6), I don't think a hack should be incorporated into the spec as a full element.

If a wrapper is needed rather than using the body (or one of the elements currently in the spec), then see it for the hack it is and use a generic element like a div.

When you aren't coding for IE6 (or 7/8 in quirks mode), you can drop that element.

Kind regards,

-Alastair