[html5] page element?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:27:00 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Alastair Campbell <ac at alastairc.ac> wrote:

> There are several problems:
> - Page is a common term, but what it means (exactly) is not well known.

Page means what most web users have come to describe what is presented
visually within a browser window.

(This is aptly demonstrated by the example above, why would you have three
> pages on the same page?! Surely that would fit 'section' better?)

The example about would be use for a multi-page wizard with visibility
controlled by Javascript.

> - For a new element to be included, it has to be different from current
> elements, and have a clearly defined meaning.

It would be used for the visible portions of a page (vs. the non-visible
portions that are contained in the body like <script> tags and the CSS
visibility:hidden and display:none.

> Often a useful question is: what should a user-agent (browser, screen
> reader etc) do with this new element? Beyond a styling hook, what does the
> element mean?

A screen reader would read what's inside this <page> element and typically
ignore what's outside.

- It isn't that 'page' is (necessarily) catered for by body, but that some
> of the cases put forward would be. But for a new element, it has to be
> clearly different, and defined.

Yes, as stated it's clearly different and defined.

And just because it can address multiple concerns does not make it invalid.

> I came up with the case of a CMS that has a toolbar (outside of what you
> might consider the page).

Frankly I think using an <aside> for a toolbar is horribly incorrect
semantically. A <nav> would be much more appropriate, or even an addition of
a <toolbar> element.

-Mike