[html5] <nav> for external links?

Jacob Kristensen admin at blueboden.com
Fri Apr 29 11:32:55 PDT 2011

> Information in <body> is highly context sensitive, but information in
> <head> may be rendered before the <body>, after or injected into it. I
> find
> <head>
> <link rel="related" type="image/jpeg" href=./complementary-image>
> </head>
> more logical....

Head has other uses, and could have other uses in the future. But its just
overkill to use for navigation links.

Even links to related pages doesn't make sense to include in the head, as
this would indicate that its related to the document or page as a whole,
rather then the specific section otherwise indicated by using the relewant
elements.

In the case where the designers has chosen to make use of it, they would
still have to include a normal navigation somewhere in the body, which would
just double their work.
Besides. You can't really control where the browser puts the information
taken from the head. Say, if you have put some navigation links in the head
section, you would likely still want to control where it should be placed
visually on a page.

So i really don't think its the best way to create links to related stuff.
It may have its limited use in static documents, but using nav is likely
better, if for nothing else, to at least maintain some consistency as of how
things are done.

Jacob Kristensen
http://blueboden.com/