[html5] <nav> for external links?

Brandon Hale absolutehalo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:06:57 PDT 2011

Hey guys,

Dismiss me if I sound like an amatuer but I wanted to make a comment and
follow it with questions (in relation to this topic of course).

Comment:

I have always interpreted <head> to envelop information that the browser
does not present to the user but interprets for the sake of the user
(styles, scripts, meta, etc.). I have always interpreted <body> to envelop
the information that the browser presents directly to the user.

If that is a correct interpretation, I don't think it makes sense to place
navigational links in <head>. Reading this discussion has me wondering if
the <head> and <body> tags themselves are not semantically proper. Several
of my peers and I just discussed wether or not both <head> and <body> are
slowly becoming the wrong terms to use. No doubt our discussions about
websites are becoming more and more more about "application" and less and
less about "document". I couldn't help but wonder if <head> and <body> are
slowly being deprecated just by the natural progression of the technology.

Questions (in comment form):

Is there any drawbacks or major reasons why <head> could not take on a more
meaningful name like <meta> (Granted that element is already in play but I
wonder if it makes greater sense to have <meta></meta> defined as a
"container" for all the information the browser needs to interpret for the
user.

Further, what stipulations or arguments are present for or against <body>

A dev team peer had a bit of a different take. He suggested that perhaps any
info that is not direct html content could exist the same way as <!DOCTYPE>
and lives "outside" the DOM, while <html> could take the place of <body>.

I do not claim to be an expert by any means and I am most certain that more
knowledgable people exist on this list. I simply wanted to present the
observation and questions for the sake of learning. Feel free to riddle
those observations with bullet holes. I'll learn either way.