[html5] is <section> the appropriate tag for the main content section of a page?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Aug 7 11:38:55 PDT 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:

> Is <section> the right tag for the main content section of a page?

No, that's <body>. The stuff that _isn't_ the main content is then marked
using <nav>, <aside>, and other elements that indicate that their
contents are not part of the main content.

> I'd like to use the new tags where it's appropriate but I'm concerned
> that putting the primary content of the page inside one of the
> sectioning elements will suggest that it's a sub-section of the overall
> document, and therefore the heading tags inside it will not apply to the
> document as a whole but just to that section, and all the other
> implications that sectioning brings with it.

That is indeed what using <section> here would mean.

> Practically, my concern is for presentation to search engines

I do not believe search engines will be affected one way or the other on
this matter.