[html5] UDP websockets

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Aug 7 11:41:52 PDT 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, SiPlus wrote:

> Hai! When there will be standard for UDP websockets?

Never, WebSockets is by definition TCP. :-)

However, there is already a UDP feature being specified, as part of
PeerConnection:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/video-conferencing-and-peer-to-peer-communication.html#the-data-stream

> I'm developing JavaScript port of a game that uses UDP, and I want to
> make multiplayer of my port to be compatible with DOS and Windows ports.

Both WebSockets and the data UDP media stream described above require that
the receiving peer explicitly opt-in to the connection, so that we can
prevent people from writing Web pages that connect to arbitrary remote
servers like SMTP servers (to send spam) or anything else (e.g. to
propagate malware/worms). There are no current plans to allow Web pages to
have access to raw sockets, either TCP or UDP.