[html5] Incremental rendering of XHTML5

Jesper Tverskov jesper.tverskov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:23:23 PDT 2011

Thanks for answers.

I have not understood why an XML parser for webpages doesn't have the
potential of being faster than a HTML parser. Most HTML parsers are
able to repair the markup and to show something useful no matter how
much code is missing.

Even for valid HTML the markup can be written in many different ways
compared to XHTML.  In HTML a "p" can be terminated with a "/p" or
with a "p" or with a "table" or with an "ol", etc., etc.

To my common sense a HTML parser needs much more code to test what is
a paragraph than an XML parser where a "p" can only be terminated with
a "/p". It takes time in HTML parsing to figure out if a "table"
following a "p" is also the end of the "p" element or if that table is
actually nested inside the "p" element. ETC.?

Not that the above matters. It is my point of view that both for
XHTML5 and HTML5, the incremental rendering of the first screen is so
fast that marginal differences in file size and parsing speed are
seldom of any practical importance.

Cheers
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com